Jewish Education and Youth
The Jewish Community of Lisbon (CIL) is the heir of one of Europe’s oldest and most symbolical Sephardic Jewish Communities. It was founded during the Middle Ages, it was abolished by the Inquisition in the 15th century, and reestablished in the early 1800’s. Since then it has been a very small, struggling community, only enlarged during World War II due to the influx of European Jews on their way to emigration throughout the world.
The aim of this project is to provide Jewish Education with emphasis on the young, in order to build and develop their Jewish identity, and prevent further assimilation. Non-formal Education (initiated in 2002) – founded, organized and supervised by the Executive Director of CIL.
Target group: Children and adolescents from 3 to 16 years old
Objective: Organized Youth Movement (Dor Chadash) based in a system, and classical model used in many countries, of educational self governing – the principle of education through their peers, personal example, thus guaranteeing continuity and stimulating new generations through systematic, non-formal educational activities.
The contents of the activities are focused on, and include subjects such as Judaism and Jewish identity, Contemporary Judaism, Jewish Religion and Culture, Zionism, socializing in community life, recreation and entertainment.
There are about 30 to 40 activities annually, and about 75 youngsters are registered.
Weekly activities are systematically held on Sunday, and have an average participation of about 40 to 45 youths.
- Celebration of all major Jewish Holidays, as well as Yom Hashoah and Yom Haatzmaut.
- Occasional Kabalat Shabbat with participation of the whole family.
- Summer Camp (Machané) organized for children above 7 years of age, with average participation of 40 children each year (9 summer camps were held in the last 7 years).
- Annual courses in leadership for Dor Chadash members above 16 years old.
- Outings, conventions and exchange programs with youngsters from other European Jewish communities (mainly Madrid).