EJF Special Project
The Start-up Nation meets Europe in Berlin
The Leadel FLY Berlin Conference was the first of its kind, intended to connect leading young Jewish professionals across Israel and Europe with the Jewish world. This year’s audience included more than 250 Jewish professionals from Israel, Germany, France, Hungary, Russia, Ukraine, Britain, Switzerland, and The United States. Politicians, musicians, artists, entrepreneurs, startupists, academics, and business professionals alike joined together for three engaging days to explore new uses of innovation in all spheres of life.
Berlin Speakers included exceptional thought leaders from across the spectrum of expertise.
• From the Technological World: Jeff Pulver (American Internet Entrepreneur, known for his work as founder CEO of pulver.com and co-founder in Vonage); Yanki Margalit (Chairman, SpaceIL).
• From The Business World: Mick Davis (Former CEO, Xstrata); Yoram Tietz, (Managing Partner, Ernst & Young Israel); Avner Stepak (Meitav Dash Investment House).
• From The Jewish World: Lea Landman (Co-founder & Chairwomen, Women in International Security); Dr. Meir Ben Shahar (Jewish History, The Hebrew University); Jeremie Berrebi (Editor, ZDNet France).
• From the Creative World: Ivri Lider (Singer, Co-Founder of TYP); Eitan Chitayat (Executive Creative Director, Natie); Tal Alon (Founder and Editor-in-chief, Spitz Magazine).
• From The Non Profit World: Dr. Nir Tsuk (Managing Director, Ashoka Israel); Tzameret Fuerst (Co-Founder, PrePex); Jude Williams (Chief Executive, Tzedek); Anat Gold (Head of Planning Department, KKL-JNF); Roy Keidar (Chief Executive officer, Reut Institute).
• From The Academic World: Professor Israel Borovich (Dean, School of Management and Economics, Academic College of Tel Aviv-Yaffo); Dr. Gil Pereg (CEO, Darca Schools).
• From The Political World: Knesset Member Ronen Hoffman (Yesh Atid); Michael Biton (Mayor, the city of Yeruham); Michael Vole (Founder and Director, Young Adults Unit, Tel Aviv-Yafo); Avner Warner (Director, Economic Development, Tel Aviv Global City Administration); Roni Flamer (CEO, OR Movement).
This three-day event began with an opening Gala cocktail and dinner at The Jewish Museum of Berlin on October 23rd . Taking place live during the event was a special, one-time exhibition of The Shenkar College of Engineering, Design & Art. This unique installation was the final project of twenty-nine graduates from five different artistic departments. On October 24th, The FLY conference itself was held at a vibrant venue in the center of Berlin. A series of engaging speakers and panels addressed topics including: A Smarter World- Trends in a Changing Global Environment, Cracking the Innovation Code, Judaism & Innovation, Tel Aviv as a Startup City, and Innovation in all Fields of Life. Throughout the day, selected startupists were given the stage to pitch their concepts in front of a full audience. The day concluded with a concert event performance by Israeli popstar Ivri Lider and the TYP Band. Throughout the event, a variety of tours were provided for participants, including Panorama City Tours, Private Tours of The Jewish Museum of Berlin, and Berlin Startup Tours.